Monday, October 13, 2014

Creative Process: Urge to Create Art Arises Anew

The process behind creation in the arts is weird. The first moment I knew I was getting ideas again was when I finished all those powerpoint shows about crimes. I enjoyed writing them up and putting together the pictures to go with them. My visual sense must have been tripping right along because shortly I thought to myself You could just blend all this forensic stuff into an semi abstract painting. I say semi abstract because if you did not know the elements in it, you might not see them. Felix could immediately see the fingerprint in the top image.  

I envisioned three elements that are used in almost all crime scene materials: blood spatter, fingerprints and DNA (the banding part when you are matching up). So I put those images together to blend in layers in my image editing software.  The image below contains these real world elements as they looked before I separately blended each of them on layers. 
A big question with digital art is what do you want to put it on as the end product. Nowadays it can go on just about anything. So I went over to Shutterfly and put it on a few products experimentally as shown below. The end products cost from $30 to $50 exclusive of shipping. I am not going to order any of it but it was fun to see what it could do. This first one I liked the best.
Then I stuck it on an ipad case, a phone case and as a piece of mounted wall art, below.
The next thing I did was go over to Spoonflower and put this design onto custom fabric. I would not want much of this as fabric as it would be overwhelming. So I made a quilt block and a fat quarter, a bit over a quarter of a yard. Both are shown below. It is thus now possible for me to obtain fabric which is commercially printed which no one else in the world has. This may not seem like much but just imagine knowing that literally no one else can possibly have your scarf, sofa, armchair, dress and so forth. To me at age 66 that is not really important but to some people it is a great deal. For battling interior decorators, it could be a leg up with upper tier clients. For quilt artists, with the right blocks of fabric, it could mean finally having one's art work juried into shows. And for the dress designer whose patron literally cannot bear anyone else being seen in the same dress.... (think Kardashian here, folks). I really doubt any of those people would want to be seen in or on my crime scene art, but it is the idea of exclusivity which is enticing to some.


For more creative ideas I went to Brit & Co.

It sent me to one place to make a scarf, which I did but did not order it. There was one place which would make blazer liner out of my own art work but I thought that was bizarre. At all of these places there are very easy online tools where you just upload your design, click a few options you like and your product is in front of you, ready to order. If I worked in criminal law, I could see me getting all sorts of products like this to use daily.  I simply couldn't resist using all of it to see which people in my work place could see what it was or not. Once a prankster...

1 comment:

  1. Amazing! And I had no idea all those places existed online, for turning digital art into other forms. Thanks for keeping me aware of what's going on in the new world!

    ReplyDelete