Sunday, March 2, 2014

Paper Dolls from 1960s Katy Keene to Art Masterworks

These are the Katy Keene paper dolls. I was an avid fan. The top issue of the comic shows the date was 1960 and I was 12 years old. The different aspect to this comic though was that she was also a paper doll.  In each issue you could cut out a page of her and her fashions. This was likely an early harbinger that I would find myself creating wearable art years later. Little did I expect, however, that I would create the actual paper dolls with a new twist in my 60s. Below are collages I just made from some of the single paper dolls I created. They are of major art works found in art museums which have been collaged into a shape.  I did these in Photoshop and for this complex an undertaking, probably nothing less would have done the job. (Two mini lessons are on the bottom of the page: 1) using the Google image search engine by searching for Katy Keene and 2) another step for collaging in Picasa.)

The reason I did these paper dolls was to sell them to art teachers on the Teachers Pay Teachers website. I thought it would be a more enjoyable way for young children to learn art history. If you want the full individual sets, they are for sale here. You do not need to be a teacher to buy items at TPT. You are welcome to print and cut up the ones shown on this page for free. If you have grandchildren, these may be especially enjoyable.



The above are my angel paper dolls. They are based on Renaissance paintings. The shape is an actual Renaissance painting of an angel and inside the shape are collages of those paintings.




The above are my Impressionist paper dolls. They are modern shapes and inside are paintings from a particular artist. From left to right, Manet, Renoir, and Morisot.



The above are my Post-Impressionist paper dolls. They are modern shapes and inside are paintings from a particular artist. From left to right, Cezanne, Rousseau, and Van Gogh.



The above are my modern art paper dolls. They are modern shapes and inside are paintings from modern artists of the twentieth century.






A month after writing this entry I ran into some exquisite paper dolls in the Oprah magazine.  I collaged them together to show here.


For those interested in finding Katy Keene paper dolls, this is how you do it.

Go to google image search and enter these search words: katy keene paper dolls




Above are the immediate images which come up with the search. Click on each image on that page to go to the enlarged versions.

No comments:

Post a Comment